Saturday, May 1, 2010

the last blog

Not totally sure what this final blog is supposed to deal with, so I'll ramble for a bit.

I thought the blog was a fun way to engage the class but I feel like there needs to be some other kind of motivator that goes along with it, like monthly blog checks or something, just to make sure everyone stays on top of it. I know I got complacent about blogging and my blog suffered because of it.

The time spent it class was awesome. I always felt intellectually engaged, partially because of the breadth of material covered and then that material's application to everyday life. The instructor's assertion that if we know all the stories then we can find out which story we're in was something that was very intriguing to me. The idea that we could some how know how things would happen, based on the stories that we know now makes no sense and a ton of sense at the same time. Having no true way to see our future is a fact of the universe we live in, but taking elements from common stories and applying them to our own lives is very practical. After all what is the point of stories if not to learn form them.

I regret to say that I did not actually finish The Brothers K. I just didn't make the time to finish the book and as we have discussed during or presentations, it is just now that I feel ready to take the plunge and give this book the time and attention it deserves. If it's any consolation I do fully intend to read The Brothers K this summer in its entirety, and keep a journal of my impressions about it. The book demands more time and attention than I could give it this semester and because of that I feel as though I've missed out on a large portion of this class.

The three main topics that hit home for me, and will follow me for the rest of my life are these: How do you know what you think until you see what you say, and: There are no Boring books only boring people and the idea that books can be more real than experiences. The first topic is easily applicable to everything in life. Writing your feelings and ideas solidifies them. The second two are ideas that I will ponder for the rest of my life, probably bouncing between sides as I go through.

All things considered, this class was time excellently spent. It was engaging and active as well as exciting and informative, I hope to continue to take classes of this intellectual caliber for the rest of my academic carreer.

No comments:

Post a Comment